Phra Mongkhon Bophit in Ayutthaya พระมงคลบพิตร อยุธยา is one of the largest bronze Buddha images in Thailand. The image measures 9.55 metres at the widest point across the lap, and 12.45 metres high without the base. This Buddha image is seated in the position of subduing mara and situated on the west side of the old palace compound in the Vihara of Phra Mongkhon Bophit temple (วิหารพระมงคลบพิตร).
The image is believed to have been constructed in the early Ayutthaya period between 1448 to 1602 A.D and was originally situated at the east side of the old palace compound. Later, during the reign of King Song Tham it was moved to the west and a Mondop was built to shelter it. During the reign of King Phra Chao Sua (1706 A.D), the top part of the Mondop and the had of the image were damaged by lightning. The Mondop was converted into a Vihara and the main restoration of Phra Mongkhon Bophit was completed during the reign of King BoromaKote (1742- 1743 A.D).
During the fall of the Ayutthaya Kingdom in 1767, the roof of the heVihara was damaged by fire and the head and the right arm of the image were broken.
Later, the image was repaired and the Vihara was completely restored again in 1956.
In 1920, Phraya Boran restored the broken head and the right arm of Phra Mongkon Bophit with mortar. The restoration still maintained the old design. At the base of the image we still can see the design that created during the reign of King Boromagot.
In the late reign of King Rama V, Prince Phraya Damrongrachanupap together with Duke and Duchness Yohan from Germany visited the ancient palace which was a capital city of Ayutthaya. They also came to worship Phra Mongkhon Bophit.
On 23rd March 1990, the Supreme Patriarch presided over a candle lighting ceremony in front of the image and announced that people could honor the image by covering it with gold leaf. H.M Queen Sirikit auspiciously paid homage to the image and donated Baht 70,000 to the restoration fund. Henceforward, the Mongkhon Bophit Foundation undertook to cover the image with gold leaf in celebration of the 60th birthday of H.M Queen Sirikit.
Amphoe Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya,
Chang Wat Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya
Opening hours: Based on Tourism of Thailand’s website, opening hours are as follows:
- 8.00am to 4.30pm on weekdays
- 8.00am to 5.00pm on weekends and public holidays
Note: There are a lot of shops located outside the temple selling anything from food, drinks, souvenirs, crafts and clothings.